To execute Test Runs, you need the Execute Test Runs permission.
You can execute single or multiple Test Runs and Test Suites or Quick Run them with the overall status.
Test Runs become read-only and unexecutable if:
- You are not granted with Execute Test Runs permission.
- The Test Run is created from a shared Test Case and the Test Case has been deleted or unshared.
ENHANCEMENT: qTest Enterprise and Elite supports 3 modes to execute Test Runs: Execute without Session Recording, Execute with eXplorer Integrated Edition or Execute with Web eXplorer.
- On the Test Runs Grid or individual Test Run main page, select the drop-down arrow next to Run button
- Select one of the 3 options.
- Click Save to set the default execution mode
- For mode Execute with eXplorer Integrated Edition, qTest TestPad and Integrated eXplorer are launched. For mode Execute with Web eXplorer, qTest TestPad and Integrated eXplorer are launched. Otherwise, only TestPad is launched.
- You can change the default mode any time.
- The execution mode is set differently upon log-in users.
- Click here for the user guide to execute a session with eXplorer.
Important: Rule to create new session
- You need Create Session permission to create a new session.
- When mode Execute with eXplorer Integrated Edition or Execute with Web eXplorer selected, a new Session is created. eXplorer captures your activities while executing Test Runs and submit them to the corresponding Session.
- If there is an incomplete (Planned or Running) session on your machine, the captured activities are expanded to that session.
- If you switch to another project and then execute Test Runs, a new session is created.
A. Execute single/multiple Test Runs
- Select a Test Run on the Execution tree.
- Click the Run buttons on either the Execution toolbar or Test Run Detail screen.
- Test Run with detailed Test Steps and Description will be loaded in a pop-up TestPad to update test result.
To execute multiple Test Runs, select them on the Execution tree and click the Run button on the Execution toolbar.
B. Execute single/multiple Test Suite
- Select a Test Suite on the Execution tree.
- Click the Run buttons on either the Execution toolbar or Test Runs Grid of that Test Suite.
- Test Runs within the selected Test Suite will be loaded in a pop-up TestPad.
To execute multiple Test Suites, select them on the Execution tree and click the Run button on the Execution toolbar.
- Run button on the Execution Tree will load all available Test Runs in the selected Test Suite.
- Run button on the Test Runs Grid will load only selected or filtered Test Runs in the Test Runs Grid.
C. Update Test Run Results in qTest TestPad
After clicking the Run button, Test Pad will load selected Test Runs for execution. In the Test Pad, you can:
- Select Test Runs in the drop-down list to execute.
- Click Forward or Backward icons to execute Test Run in order.
- Click Load Last Run button to view the last result of the Test Run.
- View Test Case's Description, Precondition, Notes, and Attachments in Test Run Information section.
Add Attachments for Test Case and Test Log separately in the Resources.
- Description and Precondition will load from its associated Test Case's Properties.
- Notes will display in Test Run Log
- You can Submit/Link Defect to Test Log. Refer to Link Defects.
Select overall Status for the Test Run.
- Attachments for Test Case will be automatically uploaded back to the associated Test Case in Test Design. Attachments for Test Log will display in Test Run Log.
You can apply the overall Test Run Status to all Test Run's steps.
Select Status for individual Test Steps.
Click the Bug icon to submit defect(s) for individual Test Steps.
Click the Clip icon to add Attachments for individual Test Steps.
Click individual steps to edit Test Step's Description, Expected Results and add Actual Results during execution.
Click Save to submit Test Result for Test Run
D. Edit Test Run Results during Test Execution
Changes on Test Run during Execution will be automatically updated to corresponding Test Case as a new approved version in Test Design. In Test Run Pad, you can:
- Edit Test Cases' Description and Precondition.
- Add or remove Attachments of Test Case in Resources.
- Click individual Test Steps to edit Step Descriptions, Expected Results, and Actual Results.
- Re-order Test Steps by clicking Move Up or Move Down icon in the Config column.
- Add/Remove Test Steps by clicking Add or Remove icons in the Config column.
- Add/Remove Attachments of individual Test Steps.